NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 12-15
Many of the old traditions regarding horse keeping are still very much alive in the north of Iceland, and it’s no coincidence that you will find many of the famous breeding farms in this area.
The horse round up is a long-standing Icelandic tradition. Join us for this unique experience. A sight like no other, the horse round up is perhaps the ultimate thrill for those with a passion for horses – spectacular to see and invigorating for the rider. Join an impressive herd of several hundred of free-running and spirited horses as they make their way across rugged territory to their winter pastures.
On this tour you will take part in two horse round ups. We start off by helping Jóhann and Fridgeir to round up their horses from the valley of Unadalur. The next day we visit the biggest and most famous horse round up in Iceland, in Laufskalarétt close to Hólar.
THE HORSE ROUND UP WITH US:
- Wednesday: Arrival in Hofsós. Welcoming dinner at Jóhann and Elsa’s house.
- Thursday: The “small” horse round up. We join the local farmers driving a herd of about 150-200 horses down from the highland.
- Friday: We ride and drive the horses down to the horse round up in Hofsós where they are sorted out. In the evening we go to the indoor riding area in Saudarkrokur, and join the competitions and festivities with the locals.
- Saturday: We visit the big horse round up in Laufskálarétt, close to Hólar, where we join the locals who follow the farmers driving down a herd of about 500-800 horses from the highland. Here we can join in the singing and celebrating of this great autumn event.
- Sunday: Return to Reykjavik.
Please note that on this tour you need to make your own arrangements for the journey between Reykjavik and Hofsós. There is a bus service Reykjavik-Saudarkrokur, from where we can pick you up, or you can rent a car. Please don’t hesitate to phone if you want to discuss the best option.
TOUR DATES 2018: 26 September – 30 September
9 900 SEK
See for example www.xe.com for current exchange rate.